Rest In Peace Tyler Skaggs


By Colin Dixon, July 1st
Picture Via @Angels Twitter

On Monday, July 1st the Baseball world was shaken by the news that Angels Starting Pitcher Tyler Skaggs had passed away at the age of 27. Skaggs and the Angels had just traveled from Los Angeles to Arlington, Texas to start a four-game series on Monday against the Rangers. 

This morning at the Angels team hotel Skaggs was found unresponsive and was pronounced dead at the scene. With this tragic event taking place the game between the Angels and Rangers was canceled and will be scheduled later in the future. 

Only 10 years ago the Angels lost another young Starting Pitcher by the name of Nick Adenhart who was killed in a car crash at the beginning of the 2009 season. 

10 years ago when Adenhart was killed I was only 8 years old and about to turn 9. I was saddened to hear what happened to the young pitcher Adenhart but I did not truly understand what I understand now. Skaggs death hit closer to home. I appreciate the gift of life more than I ever have. I understand what it is like to be on a team and what it is like to have a bond with my teammates. I can not imagine losing a teammate like the Angels lost one today. 

Life can change so fast and this scenario proves that. Our lives are so precious and this makes me sad that something like this happened to someone so young. He was just recently married and had so much life ahead of him.  

As a fan who has watched Skaggs grow into the pitcher he was, I am still in shock after hearing the news from this morning. Just last Sunday I watched him and the Angels play the Cardinals and he pitched one of his best games of the year. Just 2 days ago he pitched his last game against the A's. 

I had to read the Angels official message multiple times because I could not believe it. This truly has not sunk in yet. I am only a fan, I could not imagine what the feeling is surrounding the people who played with Tyler and were touched by who he was. 

From what I have seen and what I have heard Skaggs was always the light in the room and he was a leader in the Angels Clubhouse. He was someone who was always there to cheer up his teammates and make light of a bad outing or a bad at-bat. 

People like Tyler are why this world is so amazing. May Tyler Rest in Peace and may his light shine over everyone he touched throughout his life. I am praying for his wife and his family in this tough time. The Angels gained another Angel in the Outfield today. May he rest in paradise. 

Popular posts from this blog

Tempers Flare In Royals vs White Sox Game: Brings Up A New Debate

Colin's Daily Picks Feb. 19