Very Sad Day in the World of Sports

By Colin Dixon
Jan. 26
Picture Via @LakerNation Twitter

Kobe Bryant passed away today. I cannot even believe that I just typed those words. I am in shock. The entire sports world is in shock. A very sad day.

Earlier today, Bryant along with four others were in a helicopter as it tumbled down and crashed. Nobody in the aircraft made it out alive. There are many speculations on who was with him in the helicopter, but I will not speculate on who else was taken by this tragedy.

Kobe Bryant, he is not just a sports legend, he is a world-renowned icon. I have have been alive when celebrities or even major athletes pass away but this one hits a little deeper and a little harder than anything ever has for me. After hearing this news I did not want to believe it, I did not want to even consider what the world would be without Kobe Bryant.

Kobe Bryant was the definition of working hard, he was the definition of being a grinder, someone who will not let anybody else be better than him. He worked so hard, he put in his time, he was a straight-up baller.

There are so many things that people can appreciate Mr. Bryant for but I want to focus on a couple. My main two things are his hard work, but also being a father.

To start, his trademarked phrase Mamba Mentality will forever live on. When practicing or playing the only objective was to be getting better at everything you were doing. Whether you are a basketball player, a teacher, a nurse, whatever you are you can have the mamba mentality. He preached those things and he truly was what mamba mentality is.

My favorite bible verse talks about working hard, and my whole entire life I preached to myself but to others as well that hard work can never be beaten. Kobe Bryant was never beaten because when he lost games or had an off day, he did not cry, he went out and worked on his craft. No matter what there is always room to get better.
What is the Mamba Mentality (via the NBA youtube):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EtHt6h_63o

Secondly, and most recently, I have gotten to see Kobe be a father. As a fan, this is sort of a weird thing to look at but I sure do appreciate it. There have been many videos and stories about him coaching his daughter and trying to teach her and her teammates that mamba mentality. But it is more than that. The first thing that comes to mind about Kobe for me was a recent video of him and his daughter sitting court-side and just explaining and talking to her about the game of basketball.

Watch this clip from Jimmy Kimmel:
https://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/1221544737435455493

Tweet Via @notthefakeSVP

I share that same exact relationship with my Dad. Whenever we go to a sporting event or even if we were watching it on TV, we do not just talk about the game but also the craft within the game. My entire life he was my coach, he was the first to nag on me to get better and work harder but he was also the first one to tell me a good job, but then to also get back to work.

Seeing Kobe Bryant do the things that my Dad and I did, with his daughter just made me happy and it brought me back some great memories.

Although I always rooted for LeBron James, and if anyone ever wanted to debate Kobe vs LeBron I would always side with Bron Bron, Kobe Bryant is an idol of mine. As I continue to write this I am still at a loss for words. Five rings, 18 all-star appearances, two-time scoring champ, two different jersey numbers retired, and many more accolades.

Hug your family, hug your friends, let your loved ones know you love them, and appreciate life because we have no idea what is going to happen next. The world will not be the same without Kobe Bryant. Rest In Peace Black Mamba.

Popular posts from this blog

Tempers Flare In Royals vs White Sox Game: Brings Up A New Debate

Colin's Daily Picks Feb. 19